- The share of countries with a high or very high level of social hostilities involving religion reached a six-year high in 2012.
- A third of the 198 countries/territories had high religious hostilities.
- The sharpest increase was in the Middle East and North Africa, but there were also significant increases in the Asia-Pacific region.
- The share of countries with high or very high levels of government restrictions on religion stayed about the same.
- Restrictions on religion, whether social or by government, are high or very high in 43% of countries.
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
An Increase in Hostility Toward Religion
A new report on hostility toward religion around the world has recently been released by the Pew Research Center. A nice overview of the report is found here (the much longer full report is found here). Some of the findings include: